From the nightly news to the red carpets, #METOO and #TIMESUP movements have dominated the media in recent months. As Hollywood prepares for the 90th annual Academy Awards®, there’s no doubt that the future of gaming and cinema is female. In the last decade, only two women have served as host of the Academy Awards, sparking the desire for female representation to a fever pitch. A recent survey commissioned by Minkonet, a 3D interactive video technology developer, reveals that Americans of all ages, geographical regions and political affiliations not only support females in high profile media roles, such as hosting the Oscars®, but often prefer them over men.
- Nearly half of the men surveyed would like to see characters like Jill Valentine from “Resident Evil” hosting Hollywood’s biggest night
- Age is also a moot point when it comes to the best choice for mistress of ceremonies on Oscar night; nearly two-thirds of millennials and baby boomers alike want to see a female poking fun at Hollywood heavy hitters, even in virtual form
- From Princess Zelda “The Legend of Zelda” to Lara Croft “Tomb Raider”, more than half of Americans would love to see these fierce fictional females host the Oscars
- More than half of the participants felt that female celebrities would make the best video game heroes including Ellen DeGeneres and Beyoncé
- Nearly three-quarters of respondents most identified their life with a female video game character
- Thirty-seven percent of millennials cast their ballots for Lara Croft “Tomb Raider” for U.S. president
Minkonet partnered with Survata to conduct a study during the last week of February 2018 on Hollywood and video gaming preferences among Americans. Respondents did not receive cash or any other “collectible” incentive (miles, points, credits, etc.). Read more at survata.com/methodology.
Minkonet’s mission is to redefine the way people watch and play video games. Based in Seoul and Los Angeles, Minkonet has developed a proprietary 3D replay technology system for gaming and streaming content. Its solutions advance the quality and entertainment value of livestreaming, esports and social platforms. For more information about Minkonet visit minkonet.com.