INTERVIEW ON THE PRICE OF BUSINESS SHOW, MEDIA PARTNER OF THIS SITE.
On a recent segment Price and Monks interviewed Lisa Darling who is the Head of School at the Awty International. According to the school’s website:
“The Awty International School is Houston’s premier international school, offering students a rigorous path to graduating with the:
“We are the ONLY school in:
- Houston accredited by the French Ministry of Education
- Houston offering both tracks to the IB and FB diplomas
- Texas requiring all seniors to take the final exams in one of these two programs
“This academic rigor is combined with a kind and friendly campus atmosphere, celebrating all cultural, national, and linguistic diversity.
“Facts about Awty
- Founded in 1956 as a pre-school by Mrs. Kathleen “Kay” Awty. In 1978, formally merged with the French School of Houston, and soon thereafter purchased the current campus property. In 1984, officially became “The Awty International School”. In 1987, Awty adopted the IB program and in 1981, Awty adopted the FB program as its curricula.
- Enrollment in 2019-2020 – 1,731 students in PK-3/Petite Section to 12th Grade/Terminale.
- By program – 604 in French program, 1,127 in International
- By division – 394 Early Learning; 465 Lower School; 331 Middle School; 541 Upper School
- By gender – 53% Female, 47% Male
- By nationality/country of origin –
- 45% U.S. citizens
- 17% U.S. citizens with multiple citizenship
- 38% from one or more of 70 other countries
- Ethnicity – 59% identify themselves as African American/Black, Hispanic/Latino, Asian/South East Asian, Native American, or Multiracial
- Languages spoken – 64 in addition to English. 60% are bilingual.
- Faculty – 249 faculty members; 61% hold advanced degrees; 61% are bilingual. They average 16.4 years of teaching experience.
- Facilities – A 26-acre main campus for Lower, Middle, and Upper Schools. Dedicated classroom buildings include science and computer labs, music studios, indoor and outdoor athletic facilities, and dining halls. A second 5-acre Early Learning Campus nearby for PK3/PS, PK4/MS, Kinder/GS, and 1st Grade/CP featuring 26 classrooms, dedicated indoor spaces for art, music, dining, after-school program, and technology, as well as a full gym. Outdoors, the facility features two playgrounds, learning gardens, and three decks for class activities.
- Accreditations and Associations –
- Accredited by the French Ministry of Education, the Independent Schools Association of the Southwest (ISAS), the International Baccalaureate (IB), and the Dutch Ministerie van Onderwijs, Cultuur en Wetenschap.
- Member of the National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS), the Mission Laïque Française (MLF), the Council for the Advancement and Support of Education (CASE), the Association of French Schools in North America (AFSA), Houston Area Independent Schools (HAIS), Houston Junior Preparatory Conference (HJPC), and the Southwest Preparatory Conference (SPC).
- Awty is a tax-exempt, charitable organization classified as a 501(c)(3) nonprofit by the Internal Revenue Service.
According to PriceofBusiness.com, Annette is the President of Carlton Staffing, a regional employment firm headquartered in Houston. Carlton places office, accounting & finance, and industrial personnel in temporary and full time positions. She is also President of Carltech, a firm which specializes in the placement of engineering and IT personnel – both contract and direct hire. For 26 years, Annette moved up the ranks in the staffing industry serving in many capacities ranging from front line recruiter to Regional Vice President of a $110M portfolio of business. Along the way, she earned the respect of her colleagues, clients and competitors through “straight-shooting” communication and hard work. This is evidenced by the number of sales, team, and leadership honors and awards she has received individually and on behalf of her teams over the span of her career. Since Annette became the leader of Carlton Staffing in 2011, the company has been voted each year as a winner of the HBJ Best Places to Work, Houston’s 101 Best & Brightest Companies, and Inavero’s Best of Staffing.
The Price of Business is one of the longest running shows of its kind in the country and is in markets coast to coast. The Host, Kevin Price, is a multi-award winning author, broadcast journalist, and syndicated columnist. He is Editor at Large for this site. Learn more about the show and its digital partners at www.PriceofBusiness.com.
LISTEN TO THE INTERVIEW IN ITS ENTIRETY HERE: